What steps do you need to take to become a security guard?
Each state has different steps that are required to becoming a security guard and for California it is a process that can take less than three months.
Becoming security guard is great for side jobs, or if you are looking at it for a full time career. There are many law enforcement personnel who are do security but there are also engineers, teacher, and other full time workers who work on the weekends as security guards to make additional income. So if you are one of these people take the following steps to learn how to become a security guard and supplement your cash flow.
1. In California you cannot simply go to a uniform place and grab a uniform put it on and say you’re a security guard. You need to get qualified training from authorized companies by the overseeing company in California called the BSIS (bureau of security and investigative services.)
2. You need to get a guard card. You can fill out an application with our security company and we will give you the exam that you are required to pass before you can attain the guard card. You must pass it with 100% score, but with our thorough training you should not have a problem passing it. Along with the exam it the eight hours of powers to arrest training known as pc 832 training that we conduct as well.
3. Once you have completed these steps then you must go to your local live scan operator and they typically charge $50-$80 dollars.
4. There is a fee of $51 dollars that is also required for the department of justice and the federal bureau of investigation for your background check. If you have a felony it is typically impossible for you to get a guard card but you can also double check by contact the BSIS.
5. Once these steps are completed you must wait for three weeks to six months for the card paper work to arrive. It typically takes less than a month, and if it takes longer you should contact the BSIS to see what the holdup may be. You can log into the website and see for yourself what the status is on the license. Once you acquire the guard card make sure to keep it with you at all times for the BSIS can charge you up to $5000 for not having it on you while working.